Stephanie Y TolandRecently, I have had discussions with several entrepreneurs and each conversation raised a key question. Many of the companies are now offering 'green' choices such as recycled paper for printing or organic foods. The business owners seem frustrated because their customers are unwilling to pay the 'green premium'. The printer I talked to expressed frustration that his customers (businesses and consumers alike) say that they want 'green' but when he informs them that there is a 15% premium, they opt out. So I have a few questions: Are you willing to pay a premium on products and services for reducing global warming? Do you think its okay for businesses to charge the premium, especially since their materials cost are higher? If they did not charge the premium, would you believe that their 'green' product or service was real and not 'greenwashed'? I would love to hear a robust discussion on these questions.
Bear, DE - 8 yearss ago
Cynthia ChatfieldI've encountered this issue as well. By allocating a percentage of my electric usage (PECO Electric) to be wind power adds 15% to my bill. I don't do direct mail now, but when I launched this website I did a large mailing and the FSC certified paper was definitely more expensive--and didn't look nearly as good. It's just walking the talk and until enough of us choose this way on a regular basis, the prices won't come down. Is this really tough in this economy? You bet! One of my intentions for this site is to bring visibility and support and to promote the businesses that offer well-priced green options.
Exton, PA - 8 yearss ago
Greg JenkinsTWO WAYS TO SELL THE GREEN PREMIUM 1. Come up with benefits that a buyer can more directly understand. It isn't enough to say it prevents global warming as this is too abstract. Instead come up with value that is more applicable. If you ask a buyer of organic food why they're willing to pay more they can quickly list benefits that surpass the "green premium." 2. Offer the product at the same price as non green products but instead throw in some self promotion. I encouraged a client to include a creative on the back side of their designer wrapping paper that says, 100% recyclable, along with their company name and Web address. Now the giftee is aware the product is recycled, the gifter looks good, and the paper company benefits from more new business. This is a trade-off most buyers are very willing to accept.
Washington, DC - 8 yearss ago
Sue PritchardMany green alternatives are beginning to be more competitively priced as all of us who have 'paid the price' early on, now have helped big business see that green is 'big business'. I have found one way to save is to buy direct. I buy most of my consumables that way through a direct co-op. My organic food choices are sometimes compromised, because I buy the 'dirty' fruits (like strawberries) and veges and meats organically and buy the other conventional local produce for the rest (like bananas). We need to continually educate the masses to make enough even minor choices to help make a difference. That will continue to bring prices in line as supply and demand takes a greater role. What worries me in the meantime, is that big business companies sometimes are using confusing and even decieving practices in their scramble to keep market share. For that reason alone I am willing to pay more for value. That is also why I do alot of public speaking (free) on comsumer advocacy and shopping healthier for less, so the public continues to get good information to make educated choices. The more the general public continues to do, the faster a premium will become less and less.
Media, PA - 8 yearss ago
Susan KlineAs a consumer I get frustrated sometimes because I want to do and use more green resources but my budget just won't support it yet. I do the small steps that I can such as re-usable shopping bags, less paper waste, as much organic food as I can. Sometimes I've wondered if it really does cost more to produce some green products or are they just charging more. I guess it's like shopping in a Boutique vs a department store.
Camp Hill, PA - 8 yearss ago
Conny JasperI believe that it is up to the government and the major companies to go green. I see it happening little by little here and there. Certainly not quickly enough, but, yes, it is happening. We need to persuade the corporations of offer green products, not just with our pocket books, but with our voices.
Somerset, NJ - 7 yearss ago
Natural Lifestyle NetworkRead the article about the 100% green energy product from Viridian Energy, a third party energy provider.  Most utilities in four states now offer this e-certified Pure Green product.  And it costs less than regular "brown" energy too.  There's also a 20% green energy product through Viridian and you can switch with no fees, no contract, no credit check etc.  Read the details at http://www.naturallifestyle.net/articles/Get-Certified-Green-Energy-Thro...
Exton, PA - 7 yearss ago