Amanda WartonBetty Friedan's 1963 book "The Feminine Mystique" chronicles the problem of the modern homemaker: the depression and nervous breakdowns that result from the endless meaningless tasks of shopping and functioning as the family chauffeur. Men were taken out of the home during the Industrial Revolution, and women during the subsequent Women's Liberation Movement. Countless products were introduced on which dual-income families could spend their paychecks, and everyone began to lose basic homemaking abilities like cooking, cleaning, meat butchering, sewing and chopping firewood. 

Today's economic crisis is yet another paradigm shift. It has brought incomes down and led men and women alike back into the home to provide childcare - and parents everywhere are feeling more fulfilled as a result. I've heard from many who are embracing this role, blossoming into simply fabulous homemakers. They are more focused on their family's health and the environment than ever before. They've started gardening, crafting, consignment shopping, serious recycling and composting as a result.

I'd love to hear from anyone who is feeling more fulfilled from a simpler lifestyle. Please let me know about your most recent project(s) and how they are adding to your family's health, a greener lifestyle, your savings account or your community's health. 

Washington, DC - 7 yearss ago
Sara Greenberg
I can so relate, thanks for posting!

I have recently started making most of my gifts. I'm invited to a lot of birthday parties, bridal showers, weddings & the like. Of course every girl wants something for her registry & I usually oblige, but I find my handcrafted, personalized, quality wares go over even better! The personal touch warms the heart of both giver & recipient. I so enjoy all the time I spend & really put my heart into each piece.
McLean, VA - 7 yearss ago